The messenger صلى الله علىه و سلم said:
من رحم و لو ذبيحة عصفور رحمه الله يوم القيامة
“Whoever shows mercy, even while slaughtering a sparrow, Allah will have mercy on him on the Day of Resurrection.”
(Adab al-Mufrad, According to Al-Albaani it is Hassan)
Many allegations have been made that Islamic slaughter is not humane to animals. However, Professor
Schultz and his colleague Dr. Hazim of the Hanover University, Germany, proved through an experiment, using an electroencephalograph (EEG) and electrocardiogram (ECG) that *Islamic slaughter is THE humane method of slaughter* and captive bolt stunning, practiced by the Western method, causes severe pain to the animal. The results surprised many.
Results and Discussion:
I – Halal Method
1. The first three seconds from the time of Islamic slaughter as recorded on the EEG did not show any
Change from the graph before slaughter, thus indicating that the animal did not feel any pain during or immediately after the incision.
2. For the following 3 seconds, the EEG recorded a condition of deep sleep – unconsciousness. This is
due to a large quantity of blood gushing out from the body.
3. After the above-mentioned 6 seconds, the EEG recorded zero level, showing no feeling of pain at all.
4. As the brain message (EEG) dropped to zero level, the heart was still pounding and the body
Convulsing vigorously (a reflex action of the spinal cord) driving maximum blood from the body: resulting in hygienic meat for the consumer.
II – Western method by C.B.P. Stunning
1. The animals were apparently unconscious soon after stunning.
2. EEG showed severe pain immediately after stunning.
3. The hearts of the animal stunned by C.B.P. stopped beating earlier as compared to those of the
Animals slaughtered according to the Halal method resulting in the retention of more blood in the meat.
This in turn is unhygienic for the consumer.
(Many thanks to Muslim Students Organization – University of Miami)
Reference taken from:
Al Jumuah Magazine Volume 9 Issue 3